Tuesday, April 03, 2007

OETA Centennial Stuff

Updated 5/24/2007 to add 4 additional video clips.

I know this blog is about Oklahoma City history, but I'll break the rule to post something that all Oklahoma history buffs will want to know ... OETA's Centennial stories and video collection. Billie Rodely, Writer and Researcher for the OETA Documentary Department, kindly let me know about this very excellent source for Centennial information. Click the image below to go to OETA's Centennial main page.


According to its website,
OETA now has more than 65 Centennial Stories available for viewing online at Google Video. Subjects include Jim Thorpe, Braniff Airlines, the BC Clark Jingle, the 45th Infantry Division, the Chisolm Trail, Geronimo, Baptist Children's Home, Wiley Post, the WWII bombing of Boise City, the first tornado forecast, Oklahoma's first schoolhouse, Carl Albert, the state's record of governor impeachments, Oklahoma's first radio station, the "Orphan Train," and more.
So far, I've found 78 video clips to be present (if I counted right) so it's a work-in-progress. The only real problem is finding a list of the 2 minute video clips, so I've put one together in the meantime. Click on any link below to open the associated video clip in a separate window.

Note: As I locate "new" videos at OETA's website, I'll located them at the top of the left column and boldface them for "quicker" reference. Bold & Red are those added in the most recently edited post.

October 11, 2007 note: The links below have been changed and are presently broken. I'll fix them when I have time. In the meantime, use this link: Click here

Day County
Powerless Commission
Camp Nichols
Springlake
Gayla & Matilda
BC Clark Jingle
Eagle Quilt
Orphan Train
Jim Thorpe
Chisholm Trail
Dover Trainwreck
Braniff Airlines
The Ok Panhandle
The Thunderbirds
Bellmon & the Canal
Baptist Children's Home
Geronimo
Buffalo Soldiers
Paul Aurandt
Wiley Post Crash
WWII Boise City Bombing
Code Talkers
State Flag
Zink Racers
Clarence Page
1st Tornado Forecast
1st Ok Schoolhouse
Red River Wreck
Spiro Mounds
Sequoyah
Heavener Runestone
Sherwood Forest
"Fish"
Dull Knife
Perle Mesta
Elmer McCurdy
Henry O. Flipper
101 Ranch
Cherokee Phoenix
Dead or Alive
Penn Square Bank
Honey Springs Battle
No. 1 Ida Glen
Initial Point
Alice Brown Davis
EW Marland
Pepper Martin
Coronado
MKARNS
Transcontinental Air Transport
Semi-Centennial
Gristmill Jones
Woolaroc
Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher
Vinita
Labor Department
David George
Mike Monroney
OERB
Rose Hill School
Cowboy Hall of Fame
Pastor Bill
Mercy Hospital
World Neighbors
Impeached
WKY
Sylvan Goldman
Carl Albert
Wrigley's Spearmint
Army Graveyard
End of the Trail
Governor Gore
Mr. & Mrs. Bergen
Luther Bishop
Fort Gibson
"Charley"
Constitution Boxed
So, when you've got a couple of minutes for a dose of Oklahoma history, check out OETA's great service and resource, above.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I started going to Springlake
back in early 40's at l0 years old.
It was an absolute fantasy land
to me back then and I had no idea
it was offlimits to blacks. At
least I didn't remember that it
was. I moved away from the city
in 1960 and didn't even know about
the happenings at Springlake in
l97l. This site it very informative
and I love it. I aways loved O.C.